Ep 189. Book Club: The Happy Inbox by Maura ThomasOct 19, 2023
- Today's episode is a book club review of "The Happy Inbox" by Maura Neville Thomas, a part of the Ignite Reads series.
- The book emphasizes the significance of effective email management in achieving productivity and reducing overwhelm.
- Email is not merely a to-do list but a communication tool that requires specific strategies to handle efficiently.
Key Takeaways from "The Happy Inbox":
- Understanding the Challenges of Email:
- Email overload leads to a constant state of overwhelm and reactive behavior, hindering proactive productivity.
- Email inundation can lead to a loss of control and even anxiety.
- Categorizing Incoming Email:
- Categories include spam, unwanted robo mail, wanted robo mail, and actionable work emails.
- Managing each category effectively can significantly reduce the volume of email traffic.
- Strategies for Email Management:
- Implementing the TEST process (Take immediate action, Empower others and yourself, Suspend for later, Trash) to handle each email efficiently.
- Applying the Ohio principle (Only Handle It Once) to minimize time spent on reviewing and processing emails.
- Declaring Email Bankruptcy:
- Tips for declaring bankruptcy include filtering emails by date, archiving or moving older emails to separate folders, and focusing on recent correspondence.
- Other Tips and Best Practices:
- Avoiding the habit of marking emails requiring action as unread or leaving the email open and visible constantly.
- Addressing issues of "thread jumping" by adjusting the subject line when switching topics within an email thread.
- Reminding listeners to prioritize effective email management and providing resources for further guidance.
- Encouraging audiences to join the Bold Goal Crusher Book Club and participate in live sessions for more insights.
- Encouraging listeners to crush their goals and improve productivity, ending with the signature sign-off, "Let's get to it."
Connect with Sara Mayer:
Don't miss a beat!
New moves, motivation, and classes delivered to your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.